WHAT HAPPENS WHEN… I drive around a barricade that has been placed because of water on the road? Countless calls were made to Montgomery County first responders to search vehicles in fast moving flood waters, after roads were barricaded and closed.
- FACT: It places your life and first responders’ lives in jeopardy, as they attempt to rescue you.
- FACT: One foot of flowing water could be enough to move the average family car, and 2 feet of standing water will float your car.
- FACT: 32% of flood related deaths are by drowning in a vehicle after being driven into flood water.
- FACT: A citation could be issued for failure to obey warning signs and barricades.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN… I decide to explore in a kayak/canoe in the fast rising/moving streams and rivers? Countless calls were made to Montgomery County first responders to rescue missing boaters who decided it was a good idea to kayak/canoe in the fast rising/moving streams and rivers in Montgomery County. Including the rescue of a 4 year old when her parent decided to take her out.
- FACT: It puts your life at risk and first responders in jeopardy as they attempt to rescue you.
- Unforeseen obstacles beneath the water can overturn your vessel and entrap you.
- Massive rainfall can force water to rush around obstacles, changing the currents and creating eddies and whirlpools.
- FACT: 2/3 of those who die in flood- related accidents are considered to be good swimmers.
- FACT: You could face possible criminal charges.