HURRICANE HARVEY WATCHES AND WARNINGS
For immediate Release- August 26, 2017
We have several watches and warnings in Montgomery County:
- Tornado watch in effect until 1:00PM today
- Flash Flood Warning for Southwestern Montgomery County
- Flood warning in effect for a portion of Montgomery County
Hurricane Harvey continues to move inland, bringing bands of rain over our area. Periods of heavy rain, wind shears and tornadoes remain in our immediate forecast. This is a prolonged tropical cyclone and we anticipate severe weather thru Wednesday.
The track forecast continues to show very slow movement for the next 5 days this means periods of heavy rain from today into at least Wednesday. Catastrophic flooding is expected to devastate Texas. Montgomery County Rainfall predictions for the weekend are between 10 and 15 inches.
During dangerous, life threatening, flooding situations law enforcement will call for specific areas to evacuate. If you live in a flood prone area or you have flooded before make preparations and be ready to leave your home at a moment’s notice. Plan to stay with family or friends that live in an area that does not flood.
If flooding occurs follow these safety rules:
- If flooding occurs, get to higher ground. Get out of areas subject to flooding. This includes dips, low spots, canyons, washes etc.
- Avoid areas already flooded, especially if the water is flowing fast. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams. Turn Around Don’t Drown
- NEVER drive through flooded roadways. Road beds may be washed out under flood waters. Turn Around Don’t Drown
- If your vehicle is suddenly caught in rising water, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
- NEVER go around barricades or road closures.
For help and information on preparing for disasters, download our new preparedness app ReadyMCTX to your mobile device. Now is the time to make sure preparations are in order and check your emergency kits.
To receive emergency alerts to your phone or email from Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management, register at https://www.smart911.com/. When you are creating your profile, you must check the box next to Share my Smart911 Profile with TX-Montgomery-County-911 to support emergency preparedness.
Stay informed and monitor conditions for Montgomery County and the surrounding area on the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management website www.mctxoem.org, Facebook, or twitter, NOAA Weather Radio, KStar 99.7FM.